Thursday, July 22, 2010

"Hey whats your screen name?"

I know many of you read or heard stories or people talk about this topic before, but I just had to throw my two cents in also. We all know technology is making our lives easier and less complicated (most of the times). We have cell phones that can pretty much do anything you want! Video calling has begun to change the way we call people; also has made away for the hearing impaired to communicate with much more ease. But with all advancements in technology comes the negative facets of it also.

How many of you remember talking on the phone for hours on end? Or do you remember having these extensive 3-ways (sometimes it would be a 10 person conference call, talking about not a thing) where no one knew who was saying what? But how many of you even talk on the phone? Texting, IM’ing, Tweeting, emailing, etc., has taken over. Instead giving that person a call, we’ll just shoot ‘em a text and call it a day. We have become less personable as these tools become more a component of our everyday lives. I’ll admit I have came victim to this also.

So what’s so bad about this? Our interpersonal relation skills are depleting dramatically. Some people aren’t even able to hold a 30 second conversation without stumbling over their words. Some people are even scared to make eye contact, a necessary skill when applying to a job. People are using these media sites and technologies as their main source of communication. The age of “in person” conversations has been “kicked to the curb” and communication through the technological mediums are increasing, while our social abilities suffer.

Technology is a double edge sword that has its benefits but comes along with negatives as well. I don’t think people realize how accustom we have gotten over time with these technologies that hinder our public speaking skills. I remember back in the day (yea I got two decades in this world and lived for three, figure it out) how we use to meet (bag/hook-up/ connect) people (girls) that I talked to in person. Not using facebook to “poke them” them (her). Do not get me wrong, I love these advancement in technologies, I would be a hypocrite if I said I didn’t. But I think a lot of people are forgetting the necessity in social interaction beyond the QWERTY pad / keyboard. With that said, before you pick up that phone to text or log into facebook, how about dialing that number and call to meet with that person instead. I’m sure you wouldn’t want to be texting your boss in an interview, so get the practice now!

No comments:

Post a Comment